A student of TerSU, Uzbekistan
Increasing globalization has created a large need for people in the workforce who can communicate in multiple languages. The uses of common languages are in areas such as trade, tourism, international relations, technology, media, and science. As many countries such as Korea, Japan and China, in Uzbekistan frame education policies to teach at least one foreign language at the primary and secondary school levels.
Although the need to learn foreign languages is older than human history itself. As we know, English is widely spoken in the world. It is the language of progressive science and technology, trade and cultural relations, commerce and business. It is also the major language of diplomacy. Listening, reading, speaking and writing in a foreign language is a difficult art and it has to be learned starting in junior classes. As today, teaching and learning foreign languages are very important we have known that everybody who teaches must know the effective ways of teaching and learning foreign languages.
Innovation in foreign language teaching began in the 19th century and became very rapid in the 20th century. It led to a number of different and sometimes conflicting methods, each trying to be a major improvement over the previous or contemporary methods. The earliest applied linguists included Jean Manesca, Heinrich Gottfried Ollendorff, Henry Sweet, Otto Jespersen, and Harold Palmer. They worked on setting language teaching principles and approaches based on linguistic and psychological theories, but they left many of the specific practical details for others to devise.
Many English learners feel hesitant or nervous about studying alone. Nevertheless, you soon realize that all the resources you need can be found at home. The internet is not only our best source for learning English, but also the easiest way to study at home any time we want, and we also get to study at our own pace without having to follow the teacher’s lessons or the accomplishments or progress of our classmates. We can get to study at a comfortable pace, which makes it a more effective learning experience for us.
Most important of all, we become less dependent on others to learn English. Since we are studying alone, there is more motivation for us to prove that we can learn English by ourselves. If there is consistent motivation, success will not be hard to reach. Here are some important ways of self-study learning speaking:
· Listen to music and learn all the lyrics. Everyone likes music. However, in order to learn English, we must stick to English songs.
· Watch English videos about your interests — watching interviews and reviews will help you become familiar with conversational English—how you should communicate with other people.
· Watch English movies and TV shows — watching English movies and TV shows also helps improve how you speak and understand the language. You’ll be able to hear a lot of people talking to each other using the most current forms of English.
· Working on quizzes — when you self-study, one possible problem is that you might miss the mistakes and errors you’re making. On the other hand, this is why English self-study is so great—you always get to double check if you are right or wrong. For self-study learners, there is always the question “Am I right?”. One easy way to test yourself is to do free online English quizzes.
· Chat with friends online — chatting with friends online is a fun way to self-study English without even realizing it. It’s different from talking to a teacher, or studying in class, or even using English at work because it’s relaxed, and the language is easy.
· Write about something you’re thinking about. Eventually, you will have to put into practice what you have learned through self-study. A great way to start is to write something of your own.
So, learning speaking in English with self-study will be:
· fun and enjoyable
· self-reliance, feeling more responsibility
· efficiency, save your time
· learning material can be anything
The list of used literature: