Насреддинова Фарзона Шухратовна,
преподаватель английского языка
кафедры “иностранных языков”,
Самаркандский государственный медицинский институт,
Abstract: The article is devoted to the role of a foreign language in the professional activity of healthcare workers. It draws attention to the fact that, in addition to activities that require the development of clinical skills, it is also important for medical professionals to improve their competence in the field of research.
Keywords: professional sphere of health care professionals, the role of a foreign language, a foreign language as a means of information activity, communication, professional competence.
Recognition of the leading role of the subject in the process of professional medical activity requires defining the content of the concept “doctor”. It reflects the subject’s belonging to the professional activity developed in the process of social division of labor, the object of which is the patient . The sphere of professional activity of a doctor is medicine. Medicine is a field of science and practical activity aimed at preserving and strengthening people’s health, preventing and treating diseases. State standards (SS) defines the following types of activities for a medical specialist:
1) health, which includes preventive, aimed at gathering and analysing information about the health status of the population, the rationale for disease prevention and wellness activities; diagnostic-related analysis of information about patient’s health state and provide emergency medical care in prehospital, by determining the course of providing further medical assistance; medical requiring the setting of clinical and epidemiological diagnosis, treatment and preventive measures;
2) organizational and managerial, which involves working in the system of management bodies of institutions of medical and preventive care to the population and sanitary and epidemiological services;
3) research that requires the ability to independently work with information (educational, scientific, normative and reference literature, and other sources) and carry out research on medical problems.
In accordance with the subject of our study, it is necessary to dwell on the last of the types of activities we have identified in more detail, because it is here that the role of a foreign language is traced as an important component of the professional activity of a specialist in the field of medical business.
Independent work with information is a type of activity that ensures the continuity of the process of professionalization of a doctor, which involves the following skills:
1) search for information and turning it into a means of solving professional problems, into an operational form, convenient for use — notes, charts, graphs, algorithms, tables, etc. An integral part of this type of activity is the gnostic ability of a doctor;
2) the use of native and foreign languages as a means of communication necessary for qualified medical practice (communication with colleagues, with foreign patients, with students and interns of foreign countries; participation in conferences, symposiums, both in their own country and abroad);
3) the use of medical terminology in the Latin language when conducting individual actions, operations.
Least of all in the qualification characteristic of a medical specialist is a research paper on medical problems, where a foreign language is one of the structural components, without which this type of work will not be fully implemented, but will be limited to the scope of knowledge in the mother tongue.
In addition, in the current conditions of providing medical care to consumers of medical services in different countries of the world, the need arises to ensure accurate and effective communication between participants in such communication, and language knowledge is important. The growing interest in language and communication in healthcare today is associated with globalization and the presence of increasingly linguistically diverse groups of both doctors and patients. Medical language is a universal construction in healthcare, a common language of health and related medical professions. Its function is significantly different from the function of a standard language. An optimal medical language situation requires a level of competence beyond the superficial, in which deeper meanings can be conveyed or interpreted, themes can be distinguished, and directions must be followed exactly. This requires the use of clarity and the ability to understand both light and formal language characteristics that are not related to the standard language. Professionalism in communication affects professional discourse and can potentially positively or negatively affect patient outcomes.
Thus, the analysis of professional medical activity from the position of a systematic approach allows us to draw a number of significant conclusions:
1. The central place in the activities of a specialist physician is taken by the medical-preventive and medical-diagnostic work, which cannot be carried out to the fullest without information and research activities, which include high-level knowledge of both native and foreign languages.
2. The doctor as a subject of activity is in objective connection with a system of diverse relationships, which include interdisciplinary and interprofessional relationships that determine the dynamic characteristics of the treatment process. This includes the integration relationship of medical aggregate knowledge and aggregate knowledge of other fields of science (psychology, pedagogy, ecology and biology, economics, sociology, native and foreign languages).
The personality of the future specialist, his professional competence is the “total product” of all pedagogical systems operating and interacting in higher education. Each of them, fulfilling its special purpose, is a component of a holistic system of forming a student’s personality as a future professional. The leading role of general education disciplines, and, in particular, the practical course of a foreign language, is undeniable in this process.